Monday, January 14, 2008

Review - I Am Legend

I'll admit it...when I first saw the trailers...I was intrigued. I had already rented an earlier version of this movie off Netflix (The Omega Man, with Charlton Heston in the title role). Still, I put off seeing this movie.
It wasn't terrible. Granted...we've come to expect so much better from Will Smith...but it wasn't entirely Will's fault this time around. The special effects for such a big-budget film were not very impressive. In fact, they were quite underwhelming. The story is about the same as Omega Man - a military scientist is the last man alive in New York City after a man-made disease wipes out the majority of the human race. Most of those unaffected by the disease are now more animal than human...unable to tolerate sunlight (or any bright light for that matter). It is interesting to see how a person would stand being the only person left on Earth...and what it might do to their psychological state.
Decent characters...decent story...bad special effects. I Am Legend isn't the best movie you could spend money to go see...but it isn't the worst, either.

No comments: