Thursday, October 4, 2007

My Two Cents - Summer '07 In Review

Well...I can finally say...it was a good summer for movies. Thankfully...considering what a dud 2006 turned out to be. I will say...there were some disappointments (the most notable of which was "Spider-Man 3"), but I would have to say that the movie as a whole was a good one. There were more hits than misses. And now, to quickly review my earlier post of my most anticipated releases of the summer...and update how I felt about them.
First and foremost, I must say that I did not get a chance to see "1408" or "28 Weeks Later". I do plan to rent "1408" on Netflix...and I will let you know what I thought after that. That being said, let's continue.
"Spider-Man 3"...I already reviewed it...but here it is again. VERY disappointing. Easily the biggest let-down of the entire summer. Should have been WAY better than it actually was.
"Live Free Or Die Hard"...I was expecting it to be good. I was amazed at how awesome it really was!!! Bruce Willis just keeps getting better every time he plays John McClane...and this time out was great! Excellent supporting cast, good story...and loads of action and witty one-liners. In other words, everything we come to expect from a "Die Hard" movie.
"Transformers"...what can I say besides..."When does the sequel come out!!!!!!!!!" Hands down, no contest, the best movie of the summer!!! Everything I anticipated and then some!!!
"Pirates Of The Carribean - At World's End"...I am of the opinion that "Pirates Of The Carribean - Dead Man's Chest" was not a very good movie. So...I went into this one not expecting much. Thankfully...they redeemed themselves. "At World's End" was a perfect third chapter. It tied up all the loose ends from the first two movies...but left the door just wide open enough for the possibility of a fourth movie.
"The Bourne Ultimatum"...Easily as good as the first movie. Robert Ludlum needs to write more Bourne books!!!
"Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer"...I was a little underwhelmed with Galactus...but a small nit to pick. Otherwise, a strong sequel for an under-rated film.
"Ocean's Thirteen"...Like "At World's End", I was disappointed with the second movie of the "Ocean" series. And again...they managed to redeem themselves somewhat. It still wasn't as good as the first one...but this one was better than the second one.
"Resident Evil - Extinction"...Not as good as the first two, but still an entertaining movie.
Of course...that's just my opinion...

No comments: