Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Two Cents - Good Movie VS Great Movie

It could be the age old question - what separates a good movie from a great movie? What's the difference between three stars and four to five stars? How do you bring a movie from "so-so" to having people rave about it to anybody who can stand to listen to them? I'm sure almost everyone has their own opinions on the what and the how. So...in my humble opinion...here are the top five things that I think take a good movie and make it a great one.
1) Character development. It sounds pretty simple. But it can make all the difference in the world. Every movie has characters in it. And granted, you can't learn everything about every single character...you just don't have enough time. But at least take the time to develop SOME of the characters. Character development works in two ways. One...it makes the characters more interesting...and it connects the audience to them more. It's easier to care about somebody you actually know something about. Two...it gives insight into some of their actions. One of the most powerful moments of "Saving Private Ryan" is where Tom Hanks' character tells the squad that he is an English teacher from Pennsylvania. It has absolutely nothing to do with the story...but it makes Hanks' character a little bit more human. You connect with him a little more. And yet so few movies take the time to do this.
2) Special effects in moderation. You've heard it your entire life. Everything in moderation. A little of something can be a wonderful thing. Too much can be horrible. The same goes for making movies. Special effects in the movies have come unbelievably far just in my lifetime. Compare the special effects from "Star Wars" to "Revenge Of The Sith". As I said in an earlier post, it's like comparing a Model T Ford to a Prius. They can do things in movies now that they wouldn't even have imagined doing twenty years ago...simply because there was no way on Earth that they could have done it. BUT...to paraphrase the immortal words of Ian Malcolm from "Jurassic Park"...moviemakers get so preoccupied with whether or not they can do something, they never stop to ask if they should. Special effects can add so much to a story. But too many just distract from the story itself. Good special effects are like sprinkles on a sundae. They shouldn't be the main attraction...they should make the end result that much more amazing.
3) Trying to do too much. Another point of moderation. I've said it before...and I'll say it again. Nothing drops a movie from great to good faster than trying to do too much. Whether it is too many new characters, too many sub-plots, too many twists...too much is NEVER a good thing. Especially in a medium where you only have two hours to tell your story, give or take. The two greatest examples on this point are "Spider-Man 3" and "X-Men: The Last Stand". Both are fine movies. But they could have been great movies...except for one minor detail: They tried to do too much.
4) Waiting for something good. I remember quite well when I went to see "The Hulk." I was so psyched about it. I had bought my ticket a week in advance. I went at eleven o'clock at night. And then...I waited an hour before I actually got to see the title character. I know...I timed it. I know that sometimes, patience is a virtue. When you have to wait sixty minutes out of a two hour and eighteen minute movie to see the main character...that's pushing it.
5) A flat ending. This has happened many times before. You have a great movie. It is astounding. It is incredible. And then...it ends. And the ending just ruins it. Suddenly, what should have been a great movie drops to an OK movie. Classic example - "Lord Of The Rings - Return Of The King." It was a great movie...and then the ending took half an hour. By the time the movie actually ended...I was glad that it had ended! I have seen movie endings where the audience stands and applauds. That is how you want a movie to end.
But, that's just my opinion...

No comments: